Music and Your Brain!
Music is not a limited sphere in case of energy frequency. Every rhythm has a specific special effect on our body. There is nothing more powerful than a musical connection. It’s a consciousness in itself. It connects you with the higher realms with ease and depth.
Music is a worthwhile mystery that keeps evolving itself.
Music plays a role in brain development, mood and health. Music triggers pleasure centers that release dopamine, a neurotransmitter that makes you joyful. Its effect is quick, it triggers anticipation, helping recap the past and predict the future. Brain networking creates expectations of how the music should sound. Any sort of negative feeling reduces on hearing a good piece of music. As a result it helps in treating depression, anxiety, nervous temperament syndromes, etc. It boosts pro-immunity antibodies, stimulates endorphins, oxytocin and improves our mood and energy frequency.
Learning a new instrument creates new neural connections that build on each other and create an optimal environment for learning. It enhances your cognitive sphere. It improves your auditory processing, learning, and memory. Promotes wellness, reduces stress, and gives peace. It’s the source of the most relaxing experience without having to travel for. Vocabulary and Nonverbal reasoning skills are enhanced due to learning a new instrument.
DOES MUSICAL GENRE MATTER?
Different genres have different impacts. Sounds interesting to know.
- Classical (Chamber) Music- Enhances dopamine secretion and synaptic function, learning and memory. Also improves visual attention, encourages harmony.
- Heavy Metal- Elicits a sense of identity and encourages connecting with community development.
- Pop/Rock- Increases endurance capabilities and enhances physical performances. Energy booster but also has great distracting effect on us.
- Punk- Anti-authoritarian ideologies are encouraged, cultural revolt, expressing youthful rebellion.
- Folk- Traditional ballads, tune-family as rightly called, living tradition of a community.
- Jazz (Scat Singing)- Placid effect, refreshing for the senses
- Rap (Rhythm & Poetry) - Invigorates beauty and intensity of emotions, language, processing with ease, motor functions, it motivates.
MUSIC IN CORRELATION WITH YOUR PERSONALITY
In relation to our musical preferences, different genres reveal different personality traits.
Classical music fans are artistic but reticent with high self regard. Rap fans are gregarious, aplomb. Western fans are affable but nonetheless they are hard workers. Jazz and Blues fans have high self esteem, are creative, and genial. Reggae fans are unconventional. Opera fans are gentle and artistic, courtly and decorous. Dance fans are expressive, talented, but not gentle. Indie fans have low self worth but are artistic and fertile at the same time. Bollywood fans are creative and exuberant. Chart pop fans have high self esteem, are hard workers but not very artistic. Rock fans are resourceful, gentle and easy going people but usually have low self esteem. Soul fans are sociable, highly dignified, ingenious hero’s and courteous.
These are general traits and thus have the potential to vary at an individual level.
DRIVING AND MUSIC
A study reveals that drivers make more mistakes and drive aggressively when listening to their favorite piece of music, because the distraction levels are high. Although, at the same time, it’s more favorable to play music than no music at all. The circumspect is to play unfamiliar, jarring, uninteresting music while driving to keep your senses alert.
MUSIC AND EXERCISE
A good piece of music helps in inundating out our brains cries of lassitude, though this is mostly beneficial for low and moderate intensity workout. During high intensity workout, music isn’t as powerful at pulling our brains attention away from the pain of exercise. Fast temp music increases the cortisol levels, while calming music has the opposite effect. Nonetheless, exercising makes us joyful and healthier and music adds to the experience of being happy and healthy.
MUSIC AND TECHNOLOGY
Technological advancements have enabled a fashion tech company CuteCircuit to design the soundshirt- tactile apparel that allows the deaf to feel music on their skin using a series of sensors that are embedded into the textile. The soundshirt’s idiosyncrasy is its 30 micro-actuators implanted in the cloth, which enables these sensors to translate sound of each piece of music into a tactual dialect. In this way a deaf person can enjoy complete musical experience; this is the power of technology.
The shirts design reveals the relationship frequency between vibrations and sound waves. Also, the soundshirt has derived its name from hugsshirt, the world’s first haptic telecommunication wearable invented by CuteCircuit in 2002.
MUSIC ENHANCES PRODUCTIVITY AND CREATIVITY
Music augments the completion of routine mundane tasks. Office workers are more enthusiastic and are ignited with better ideas if they are allowed to hear their choice of music while working. The sound environment affects cognitive tasks, efficacy, stress levels, pro-social effect directly. Thus, it’s great to exercise control over our sound environment.
THE BENEFITS OF MUSIC ON BRAINS
- The development of neurophysiological distinction enhances literary skills.
- It is beneficial in the treatment of chronic pain, mental disorders, autism, alzheimers, emotional trauma, dementia, etc.
- Good music enhances superior working memory, auditory skills and cognitive flexibility.
- Oxytocin helps build bonds and trust others.
- Meliorate communication skills.
- Music revamps brain plasticity resulting in brains capability to change. Flexibility to adopt oneself in different conditions is enhanced.
- Even the newborns feel relaxed. Music boosts energy during bathing, exercising, yoga, etc. Helps in relaxing the tense muscles.
- Escalate spatial intelligence.
- Strengthen brain connectivity.
- Top-up’s IQ